August Summer Schedule
Classes will have a max. 3 students & 1 teacher. 4 day weeks; Mon – Thurs
——— Week 1; August 10 – 13 ———
——— Week 2; Aug 17 – 20 ———
——— Week 3; Aug 24 – 27 ———
These classes are taught online only with a max of 5 students.
** Syntax Language replaces ROBOTC for the time being and Level 4 is a prerequiste.
(Mon – Weds) August 10, 11, 12, 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26
9 - 11am
12 - 2pm
- We ask that your Windows operating systems will have installed the newest version of the EV3 Software which is free and available online.
- Students will be required to have video & microphone capability as well, whether at desktop or laptop is not of concern, however they will need space for our robot table.
- We will also be using Zoom as our video conferencing software. We have looked into many, options but concerns over how our screen sharing, whiteboard and videos will work have led us to this software. You will not be required to purchase Zoom but we have and so our meetings will be security protected and hosted differently.
- To provide students with a similar experience as our in class lessons, we will require the ability to remote desktop the student. It’s vitally important that we be able to see their work, and/or take control of their computer to help with their coding. The access to the computer would, of course be limited to only class times, with your specific teacher (either John or Steph).
Provided to the Students
We will be providing each student with;
- Pre-built EV3 Robot
- EV3 Charger
- 2ft x 4ft Robot Table top (no legs)
- 6ft Computer/EV3 Cable
To some, LEGO may be considered toys, however the MINDSTORMS EV3 robot platform is over $500 brand new. Loaning out 25 Robots is the financial backbone of our facility and so a deposit of $400 will be required for the EV3 brick, which will be cancelled upon return of a happy Robot.
We know a fair amount of you have EV3s at home, and we’re so pleased that you’ve taken the learning home. However, for these classes we are going to ask you to use the EV3s from E-Bots. You will not be able to use your own EV3 Robot. We have had to redesign the wheel and create Robots that would function for a small table space and all the levels offered. We haven’t the time to do up build instructions and some families will not have the same LEGO pieces, or sensors that we do. To offer an “even” learning/work environment to everyone, this is the route we’ve gone, for the time being.
The Robot table that we will provide you will need to be situated close to the computer that is being used. We ask that the table not be placed on the floor as it will be made partially of wood & Styrofoam and we need to maintain the integrity of it’s build. Kitchen tables, dinning room tables, a card table for underneath would all be reasonable places to put it. As well as a quiet space away from siblings would be beneficial, or at very least a less busy area of the house.